Humidifier can be very effective especially in the winter time. It can be really very helpful in maintaining your health, comfort and also take care of all the interior problems which are caused by dry cold air. A humidifier can be effective in taking care of all the itchiness and irritation which is caused because of cold atmosphere and reduce the overall static electricity from your indoor environment.
Only getting a humidifier is not enough, but it’s very important that you take proper precaution to ensure proper health of your surroundings. Each and every humidifier regardless of its type carry a risk of mold and bacteria growth. This can usually be because of two major reasons-
(a) Failure to clean components of the humidifier and change of water
(b) Adding mineral rich tap water into the humidifier. Mineral rich tap water can damage the working of the humidifier and boost up the growth of mold and bacteria’s. Also the high mineral content of the tap water can result in the dust buildup inside the water reservoir. Just like dust and bacteria’s, particles from this film like white dust can get mixed with the good air and pollute your house.
The only proper way to ensure that the humidifier is working effective is by making sure that you insert distilled water into it. Distilled water is available in the market but can be very expensive for regular use which is why its recommended that you make the distilled water at home itself. Ensuring that you regularly change the water is also very essential If you are suffering from any kind of allergies or have any preexisting asthma condition. Here are some of the ways through which you can get distilled water at home.
This is one of the most widely used method to get distilled water. Most of the equipment's required in this process are available at home and can be conducted without any need to buy any fancy item.
1. Get a big stainless steel jar of capacity about 20 liters and fill it half with normal running tap water.
2. Insert a glass bowl in the stainless steel jar and ensure that it is floating. It is very important that the bowl should not touch the base of the bottom of the pot. If the bowl is touching the base of the bowl then remove it from the water and insert a round baking rack at the bottom of the pot and then insert the bowl in the water.
3. Once the below water starts heating, you can see water getting collected on the walls of the bowl. The water should be hot but should not boil, if the water starts boiling then make sure that you turn down the heat.
4. One can also create a hot cold barrier by putting the lid of on the pot and filling it with ice on the top. By inserting ice, when hot steam will crash on the cold lid, condensation will be created and you can get distilled water.
5. Once you get enough water in the bowl, remove the beaker from heat and let it cool.
1. To use this method make sure that at-least one of the bottle which is used has a curved outward neck. This prevents distilled water from sliding back into the bottle.
2. Fill one bottle with normal tap water and stop it about 5 inches from the top.
3. Join both the bottles with each other and seal it with the help of duct tape.
4. Now get a stainless steel pot for the purpose of boiling the distilled water. Fill the pot with only enough water to cover the bottle filled with the tap water.
5. Insert the bottle which is filled with tap water inside the pot and tilt it at an angle of 30 degrees. This makes it easier to collect the evaporated water.
6. Hold a ice pack on the top of the empty bottle which is on the outside of the pot. This will effectively create a hot cold barrier which will cause the evaporation of water.
7. Continue this process till you have enough water and then slowly remove the pot from heat and take out the bottles.
There are zero sub-categories in this parent category.